Tax Free Education Benefits for Your Kiddos

Did you know you can receive tax-free education benefits for your kids? This is a lesser-known strategy that we want to cover today.

If your children work in your business, consider giving them education fringe benefits. Doing this right creates tax deductions for the business, and tax-free fringe education benefits for the child. You can accomplish this without a Section 127 plan when your child needs the education to do the job for your business or comply with a law or regulation. In general, you can’t treat undergraduate degree programs as work-related education. If you pay for such programs outside of a Section 127 plan, you must treat the payments as taxable income to the child-employee.

But certain individual courses within a program may be evaluated separately, and certain courses, such as accounting courses for an employee-child with an accounting job, may qualify for tax-free working condition fringe benefit payments.

On the other hand, MBA programs can qualify as work-related education if they maintain or improve the employee’s skills for their current profession or business.

In addition to the possibilities above, if your child is age 21 or older, the Section 127 plan can offer up to $5,250 in tax-free education benefits.

Your ability to offer tax-free education benefits can be an excellent incentive for your employee-child and a cost-effective way to invest in your business’s future.

Taxes can be tough and we get it. For more information or to better understand how the ideas mentioned in the article can apply to your unique tax situation, schedule your complimentary tax consultation today.


Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *